General questions

Can you earn a high school diploma with ChallengeU?

ChallengeU offers an accredited online high school program, providing students with a flexible and convenient way to earn a high school diploma. Graduates receive a diploma directly from ChallengeU, rather than their home school district.


What is the curriculum used by ChallengeU?

ChallengeU uses Imagine Learning. The Imagine Learning platform offers over 100 courses aligned to state academic standards covering a wide range of subjects. These courses are regularly updated and reviewed to ensure they meet the needs of our students.

Can I work at my own pace?

As a ChallengeU student, you have the freedom to set your own schedule and work at your own pace. Our program is accessible 24/7, allowing you to complete your coursework ahead of schedule if you wish. However, additional coursework must be approved by your school counselor.

How many hours do I need to complete per week?

To succeed in our program, we recommend that students develop a consistent routine of approximately 5 hours per day, 5 days per week, to meet the minimum weekly requirement of 25 hours. A typical day in the life of a ChallengeU student involves logging into the learning platform, checking daily messages and assignments, and regular check-ins with your graduation coach.

How do I track my progress?

To ensure student success, we provide ongoing access to academic progress reports. Teachers promptly grade and return assignments with feedback, and you can check your progress, pace, and whether you are ahead or behind at any time.

Weekly attendance reports are sent to students and their guardians via our learning platform, showing the daily average of a student’s participation and the total number of assignments and tasks completed to pass their courses.

Does ChallengeU offer a summer program?

ChallengeU offers a summer program for students who want to continue their education during the summer months. Our summer program offers students the opportunity to catch up on missed credits or get ahead by earning additional credits before the start of the new school year.

But that's not all! In fact, ChallengeU works year-round, offering students a flexible and convenient way to earn a high school diploma online. Our online program is accessible 24/7, allowing students to work at their own pace and set their own schedule. Whether you prefer to work during the summer or the traditional school year, we’re here to support you every step of the way.


What do I need to enroll myself?
To complete your enrollment,  you will need:
  • Proof of residency
  • Valid identification (birth certificate or passport)
  • Photo ID of a parent (if you are a minor) or of the student (if you are 18 & over)
  • Student withdrawal papers from the previous school/district
  • Custodial/Guardianship paperwork (if applicable)
  • IEP/ETR paperwork (if applicable)
Do I need approval from my current school district to attend ChallengeU?

No. You do not need approval from your current school district to attend ChallengeU. Once you register, a member of the ChallengeU team will contact you to arrange a convenient start date.

Will I be considered a ChallengeU student after submitting the registration form? Can I transfer from my current school?

No. You will be considered a ChallengeU student once your registration is processed and your start date is confirmed. Therefore, it is advisable to wait until you receive further instructions from the ChallengeU office before withdrawing from your current school.

What happens if I enroll in ChallengeU in the middle of the academic year?

If you enroll in ChallengeU in the middle of the year, your attendance will be calculated based on the number of days you are enrolled. The weekly attendance report will only include the days you are enrolled in ChallengeU. The expected hours and work units will be adjusted accordingly.

Transcript records

How can I get a transcript or have one mailed to me from ChallengeU?

You can request transcripts from ChallengeU free of charge. Your transcript request will be processed and fulfilled within 5 business days. To submit a transcript request, please follow the instructions and click on the link provided. You cannot request a transcript by phone or email.


How can I obtain a transcript from my old school?

You can request your transcript from your previous school counselor or registrar. The process for requesting a transcript may vary by school, but you can usually request one in person, by phone, or online. ChallengeU can also make the request for you. All you need to do is give us your permission and sign a form we will send you.

To request your transcript, you will need to provide your name, date of birth, and the school you attended. Some schools may also require a signed release form or a small fee to process the request.

How can I verify the graduation status of a former ChallengeU student?

To authenticate a diploma, please email to request verification of the graduation status of a former ChallengeU student.


How many credits do I need to graduate?

In Ohio, high school students must earn a minimum of 20 credits in specific subject areas to graduate. These requirements are set by the Ohio Department of Education and apply to all public and charter high schools in the state based on a student’s enrollment date in 9th grade. 

Students who enrolled in 9th grade on or after July 1, 2019, must meet the following credit requirements by subject area.

Here is a breakdown of the required credits by subject area:

  1. English/Language Arts: 4 credits
  2. Mathematics: 4 credits (including 1 credit of Algebra II or equivalent)
  3. Science: 3 credits (including one credit each in Physical Science, Biology, and a third lab-based science course)
  4. Social Studies: 3 credits (including ½ credit in each of the following: American History,  American Government, and World History)
  5. Health: ½ credit
  6. Physical Education: ½  credit
  7. Electives: 5 credits

*The student must receive instruction in economics and financial literacy.

**The student must complete two semesters of fine arts between 7th-12th grade.

It’s important to note that these are minimum requirements, and you may need to earn additional credits or meet other requirements to graduate from your school. Our school counselor will take care of your enrollment process to determine your specific graduation requirements with you.

What do I have to do to earn credits?

Most Imagine Learning courses are worth 1 credit for a year-long course. Semester courses are typically worth 0.5 credits. To receive credit, you must complete all units in the course with a passing grade of 60% or higher.

How does my school counselor determine which classes I should take?

Your school counselor is an important resource when it comes to planning your academic schedule and selecting courses. They will work closely with you to understand your academic goals, interests, and past academic performance in order to recommend the classes that will best meet your needs.

This process typically involves a discussion between you and your counselor about your academic and career goals, as well as any specific interests or skills you may have. Your counselor will review your academic record, including your grades, test scores, and any advanced coursework you have completed, to determine which classes will help you achieve your goals and prepare you for future success.

Based on this information, your counselor may recommend specific courses or suggest areas where you might want to focus your studies. They may also consider any graduation or college admission requirements you must meet, as well as any scheduling constraints or conflicts that may affect your ability to take certain classes.

What kind of schedule does ChallengeU follow?

ChallengeU offers an individualized educational experience that aligns with your current needs and future aspirations. Students have the flexibility to work at their own pace and set their own schedule. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of five hours of learning per day, five days a week, to stay on track for graduation.

How many classes do I need to take simultaneously?

The number of classes you take at once depends on your graduation plan and the number of classes you must take at the same time to graduate. This will be communicated to you at the time of enrollment.

I’m a senior and only need a few more classes to graduate. What are my options?

As a senior, you’ll only be scheduled for the courses you need to graduate, but you can choose to take additional courses to complete the school year. You must meet all attendance requirements until you're officially a graduate. Your school counselor will provide you with this information at the beginning of the school year.


How do I get credit for work done off of the computer?

All students will track their offline learning opportunities, and those activities that align with a credit-bearing course will count toward their 920-hour requirement for the year. Students will learn how to track offline learning opportunities during onboarding.

When can I expect to receive my diploma?

Diplomas are awarded to graduates at the ChallengeU Graduation Ceremony or can be picked up in the office after the event if the graduate is unable to attend. We can also mail it to you if you cannot pick it up at our office. You will need to call or email us and sign.

When will I receive information about the graduation ceremony? 

In the spring, ChallengeU will provide details about the ceremony through the Imagine Platform and your email. Your coach will also provide you with this information

What happens if I don’t meet the requirements for graduation?

If necessary, students who have not yet turned 22 years old, may re-enroll with ChallengeU the following academic year or enroll in the ChallengeU 22+ program. (Coming soon)

Does ChallengeU have a graduation ceremony?

Yes, ChallengeU hosts a formal graduation ceremony to celebrate the achievements of its graduating class. All students who have maintained satisfactory academic progress throughout the year are welcome to attend. In addition, students who complete the required testing over the summer can also participate in a smaller summer ceremony.


What are the tests required by Ohio State for graduation?

In addition to earning the required academic credits, students must also demonstrate competency to earn their high school diploma. Students can demonstrate competency by earning a proficient score on the following Ohio State Tests (OST): Algebra I and English Language Arts II.

Students who do not score proficient will be offered additional support and must retake the test(s) they did not pass at least once before being eligible for an alternative competency pathway.

Students are encouraged to take additional Ohio State Tests in the following areas as they are aligned with the attainment of state seals:

What if I complete all requirements for graduation before the end of the school year?

When you have completed all coursework and exams required by ChallengeU, you will receive your diploma and move on to post-graduation opportunities.

Withdrawing ChallengeU

How can I withdraw from ChallengeU?

If you are a minor, your parents must enroll you in another school district. You can continue to attend ChallengeU until the new school sends an official request for your records. All equipment borrowed from ChallengeU must be returned to the main office immediately.

Can I transfer my credits from ChallengeU to another school if I decide to move or return to my home district?

Yes, you can transfer your Carnegie Unit credits to any other school if you decide to leave ChallengeU for any reason. Although the receiving school district has the final decision on which credits to accept, most schools generally accept all credits earned through ChallengeU.